12 October, 2011

On Lhakar!


Today is Lhakar and this post is dedicated to this day. 

Many of you especially who're not Tibetans must be narrowing their eyebrows questioning on the foreign word. Lha-kar is a Tibetan word which means White Wednesday. Lha is the abbreviation of Lhakpa (Wednesday) and Kar, the abbreviation of Karpo (white). It is a 'homegrown people's movement' by the Tibetans living in Tibet in an effort to boycott Chinese products and embrace Tibetan tradition and culture. It was started with a motive to preserve the culture which is slowly being overshadowed by the occupancy of the Chinese citizens in Lhasa which is flaring with each passing day. Young Tibetans like me who were born and raised in Nepal or India or America or Canada are so engrossed in the business of our modern life that we tend to overlook the importance of our fading tradition. Hence, I took it upon myself to take the pledge and celebrate Lhakar, celebrate the beauty of our culture, celebrate on being a Tibetan. 

You can pledge your support by turning into a vegetarian on this day, eating Tibetan cuisine, speaking in Tibetan, listening to Tibetan songs or reading Tibetan books or wearing Chupa. I went to Boudha early morning and made some prostration on one of the wooden planks inside the stupa. I'm a vegetarian today and I watched/listened to some Tibetan songs on youtube. I really love this song and I can't get enough of it. I don't exactly understand the lyrics but from the subtitle I realised it's a romantic song. Oh sweet romance! And this comedic rap song on Shapale is just toooo hilarious and downright awesome! As I'm starting to share some videos with you how can I possibly leave out Gomo Tulku. Although I don't support his change of lifestyle (I was so effin' mad to hear about him and totally despised him in the beginning) and although his music video is not an oriental one, I just thought I should share it here with you. It feels peculiar to say this now but I think in a way I respect his decision of coming clean and following his dreams to do full justice to his passion. And music is where his passion lies and he's quite good at it. Ok enough of GomoTulku! 
I thought of starting my day with tsampa but I just didn't feel like it today. I usually consume about half a small bowl of tsampa and I've loved it since I was a child. This goes to all the ladies out there: tsampa sucks out the grease and oil from your body and helps you lose weight. Yeah, didn't know that right! So after you're done with your scrumptious pizza or spaghetti, have a bowl of  tsampa next morning, it'll do your body good. 

You can go to Lhakar's official website for more updates and also post your pledge! 

12 comments:

lhamo Mashutzo said...

ha bhumo Mosa, nga paar dhi gaa soe...
P.S i am speaking Tibetan as it is Lhakar..

Ponytail said...

thuche chay =)

Practical dreamer said...

Loved this post of yours!!Your usage of words are truly amazing and the flow of your sentences as well.I'm addicted to words and sentences.Omg!!Tsampa does what??lol...Didn't even know about it until today.Maybe that's why I never gain weight.Hehe...Take care acha! =)

Ponytail said...

tsampa's the best diet ever! haha

GopsokLa said...

I heard this word 'Lhakar' many times on net. But after reading your post I came to know what it exactly is. I will do my part as a Tibetan.

Thank you for sharing this.

Ponytail said...

my pleasure. I'm glad I did this post! take care

norrbu said...

good to see that the tradition is not lost - i hope it never does.

Ponytail said...

it all depends on us, you and I!

Winda Tiodang said...

dear ponytail,
it seems like you're so active for commenting my blog,
thank u so much, i really appreciate it! keep on doing it! a little bit more! and i will promote your blog on my blog, and share it on my twitter :) thanks.

Tamding said...

I am sooo having tsampa every morning from now on!!
And this post just reminded me of home! I miss Nepal so much :')
This post is so well written ^^

norrbu said...

no updates !!

Plami said...

What a beautiful and interesting post! Thanks!

XoXo
Plami

http://www.fashionthrill.com/

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...